Monday, February 2, 2009

My Lamp (poem)

Something a little brighter!
Written 1/23/09


Little lamp, you are strong
and brave
When I grow scared of the hauntings
Outside this room, your soul flickers
And instead of withering shadows,
I see the dust in my room-
On the shelves
In between books
Behind curtains.
Places I should have cleaned.
But what if every once in a while,
It is right to quail before those shadows?
Should I test the brink of nightmares
To experience something new?
Ah, what if the owl is hooting
Merely of a magical place?
And the glint in a beast's eye reflects
Not a prowling ghost,
But a fairy, whose light was thought to be
Hidden?
Perhaps our Lady Moon isn't trying to light up evil things,
But only preening her image in the slumbering
River?
Little lamp, have you tricked me!
Your bravery has become my weakness.

2 comments:

Priya said...

Awww...that's a wonderful poem. I like "When I grow scared of the hauntings/ Outside this room, your soul flickers/ And instead of withering shadows,/ I see the dust in my room.

Emily Ruth said...

haha... my mom liked the part about the dust. O.o

*blush*

My room really is very clean, I don't know what she's talking about. ;)

Post a Comment