Friday, September 26, 2008

Poem: Rain Drops Teardrops

I wrote this poem as a metaphore exercise.. see if you can guess what it is a metaphore for :) answer is at the bottom.

The clouds draw nigh with thundering sigh
The people in bed awake
Yet slowly amidst the constant prattle
Of rain, their sleep o’ertakes

But near one open window,
A puddle, still and calm,
Surrounded by a fence and sky
Sings a tranquil, monotonous psalm

The storm passes, to leave disdain
On those who sleep below
And the puddle stares, awake and scared
Till morning starts to show

The remnants of destruction steer
The puddle away from home
Miniscule rivers on miniscule sands
Leave to search and roam

Some join others, and some stay apart
Yet yours reluctantly fall
Fear not, my child, your joy will come
For time will not cease to heal all

Answer: the puddle is the child's eyes; the storm an argument between her parents. The rivers are tears flowing from her eyes.

4 comments:

GirlwiththeBraids said...

Brilliant! EmilyRuth, you really are talented.

GirlwiththeBraids said...

Sorry about my profile. I am kind of working on the whole blog thing. But I can't leave a comment unless I have some kind of account. So I have to start using my profile now. So just ignore it. (It'd make me feel a whole lot better, make me not so embarrassed. *blush*) I know, it's no big deal, but... I'm like that.

Emily Ruth said...

haha no its fine :) and thank you

Priya said...

That's a really cool poem! Although it seems to be an ordinary poem, it has an in-depth meaning to it. Great job!

Post a Comment